Saturday, November 2, 2013

You can't just stick to your principles

So I just watched a two-minute clip where Abby Huntsman tried to rip on Senator Mike Lee for stirring the pot.  She quoted Lee as saying he did not stir the pot for stirring the pot's sake, but then accused him of doing just that in recent weeks.  She went on to state that Lee's popularity is dropping in Utah, and she quoted some big Utah players to back up her point.  Here is what made me stop the post I was crafting and create this post:  She quotes the president of Zion's Bank as stating: "If things are going to happen, you can't just stick to your principles.  You have to make things work. . .you've got to be practical."*

Whoah.  Hold it.  You are slamming on somebody for sticking to their principles?  Okay.  That's all I need to know to judge your political character, Ms. Huntsman.  And I'm glad I don't bank at Zion's.

For me, the jury is still out on Senator Lee.  I do like the recent stand he made, and I do think that neither he (nor Cruz) were stirring the pot for stirring sake.  They were choosing to stand for their principles.  It takes an entire Congress (and the President) to pass a budget.  It should have been done months ago.  And these few guys get vilified and scapegoated because they cast their one vote each to not fund the [un]health[y] care law?

What gets me is that Ms. Huntsman pretends to be a conservative.  She came from the Huffington Post, for Pete's sake!  And she currently works at MSNBC.  She's not fooling anyone.  I guess she self-identifies as a "moderate conservative".  What's that?  A conservative who does not stick to principles?  Thank goodness we have had moderates like Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Lincoln, and Reagan throughout our history so our nation could be where it is today!  And let's not forget the moderates on the world stage, like Gandhi and Jesus.  Put her in with the McCain's of the party who show their true colors by slamming those who fulfill their promises to their constituents.  And we won't even mention the current state of the law they were opposing.  

Heaven forbid you stick to your principles instead of playing the game.


*I am fully aware that there is more to that quote (see the three dots?), but she didn't include more.  I'm arguing against what she presented. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment