Thursday, October 31, 2013

Duty

Indeed, no part of life, whether in public or in private affairs, abroad or at home, in your personal conduct or your social relations, can be free from the claims of duty; and it is in the observance of duty that lies all the honor of life, in its neglect, all the shame. 
Cicero

Wherefore, men are free according to the flesh.

2 Nephi 2:27


We are free to choose, yet we are bound by duty.  Interesting dichotomy.  Perhaps one way to say this is that we are free to choose what will bind us.  I can only speak for myself; and I know that I feel bound by my sense of duty.  Because of the faith and principles I have chosen to embrace, I believe there are proper ways for me to act in every situation.  Granted, in many occasions, there are numerous right ways to act.  Some times, there is a good way, a better way, and a best way.  And there are the times where this is only one right way.  Am I still free?  Of course I am.

I never thought about the part of the above scripture that reads "according to the flesh".  What does that mean?  Is that a significant choice of words that delineates some difference between the freedom of our flesh and the freedom of our spirits?  I don't know; but it is something I can ponder.

Do I sometimes wish to be rid of all my duties?  Yes!  Temptation lurks everywhere, and the pleasures of the flesh bid me to forget my duties and do what feels good.  I can say with absolute certainty that I have never experienced joy from giving in to temptation.  Momentary pleasure, fleeting pleasure, yes.  Not joy.  In fact, the misery that comes from giving in to temptation is simply not worth the pleasure derived from the sin.  Some have suggested to me that guilt is a manmade construct, based upon our upbringing (those that subscribe to this view can present their argument much more eloquently than I just did).  Funny, this argument is highly logical, and it makes sense in a mathematical sort of way; but the Holy Spirit constrains me to believe otherwise.  The uplifting and encouraging feelings I experience when I do what I believe is right is as tangible to me as anything.  The same people from three sentences back have a way of explaining away the feelings of the Holy Ghost, too; something about feeling validated for following through on what I believe.  Running with their logic for a moment. . . so what?  That I feel good for doing good, and that this reinforces my belief.  That's fine.  I am reminded of a video I watched that was circulating on Facebook this past week:



A couple of days ago, The Boy Scouts of America celebrated 100 years with a huge event in downtown Salt Lake City.  I wish I could have been there, but I did watch it live at the local church.  Amazing evening, and it made me grateful for the contributions of the millions of Boys Scouts throughout history.   At one point, they recognized Thomas S. Monson for his 44+ years of service on the national board of Scouting.  I am reminded not only of his example of duty, but of many of his talks on duty.

On my honor, I will do my duty, to God, my country, my wife, my children, and my fellow men.


 



1 comment: