Thursday, October 17, 2013

Silence


According to John Adams, Thomas Jefferson spoke hardly at all during the Continental Congress.  Jefferson's earlier views on political participation are summed up in his own words (from one of his letters):

When I hear another express an opinion which is not mine, I say to myself, he has a right to his opinion, as I to mine.  Why should I question it.  His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixote, to bring all men by force of argument to one opinion? . . .Be a listener only, keep within yourself, and endeavor to establish with yourself the habit of silence, especially in politics. 

Should I be content to cast my vote, and be done with it?  Where, and when should I debate or offer opinions?  If Jefferson didn't see the need to speak up in the Constiutional Convention, of all places, maybe there are more times than not to be silent. 

*Quotation taken from John Adams by David McCullough.


No comments:

Post a Comment