Monday, October 7, 2013

KHS CC





On a bus, heading for Cedar City with the Kearns High School Cross Country Team.  There are only about 21 athletes, Coach Flanagan, and me, the single parent “chaperone”.  Doesn’t look like this group of kids really needed a parent chaperone, but I’m excited to get away from work for a day and support my kids and their team.

After having spent some time chatting with coach Flanagan, I’m super happy my boys chose Cross Country as their extra-curricular activity.  He’s a great guy, and someone who has a positive influence on the kids he mentors.  I realize that it’s not so much the sport, maybe, but the coach.  It’s kind of like college, when you find a good professor and you take all the classes he teaches (George Durrant at BYU).  Or when you find a good author and you read all his books (Terry Brooks or Terry Pratchett).  It’s nice to run races, stay in shape, and compete on the cross country team; but what is more important are the relationships the athletes have with their peers and their coaches. 

Do I believe that?  From a parent’s perspective, I do.  But looking back on my days as a HS athlete, I’m not sure I agree completely.  It was about the competition, and the thrill of the sport.  Were all my coaches great role models.  Not exactly.    None of my coaches were poor role models, but I didn’t want to be like them, necessarily.  But that’s not what it takes to be a good mentor, actually.  My boys probably don’t want to be like Flanagan, but they like him, respect him. 
In talking with him, it was evident that his coaching is driven by certain principles that he is trying to teach the athletes.  Cross country is important, but only as a means to an end.  

I’ve seen a number of coaches in youth sports that are too big for their britches.  I’ll never forget a scene I witnessed during my internship at Orem HS.  A basketball coach was in a sophomore girl’s face (literally two feet from her—and he was just about her height, too—can you say “Napoleon Complex?)  Anyway, he was yelling at her, spittle coming out of his mouth.  This wasn’t during a game; it was something about coming late to a practice or missing something.  She was terrified.  I wish I was man enough at that time to intervene.  I can get yelling as a coach.  My coaches yelled a lot, and it was helpful, instructive, and motivating.  But I can’t get a grown man yelling at a 15 year-old girl to the point she is terrified.  Maybe it’s a gender thing, would I be okay with it if he were yelling at a boy athlete?  I don’t know.  Anyway, it is unfortunate that some people who are pretty clueless about life and relationships end up as youth coaches.  Thankfully, Coach Flanagan isn’t one of those.  I am grateful for that, and for all the adults in my kids’ lives who have a positive impact on them. 

Time passes.

Just finished watching the Kearns Cross Country team compete at a huge invitational with 15 teams.  It was a lot of fun to cheer on my boys, who ran for the JV team.  Almost every one of the JV boys recorded their personal best time.  Reed was hoping for an under 20 minute time and came it at 19:25.  Then John comes pretty close behind, and I’m screaming at him because I think he can get a sub-20, too.  He clocks in at 20:03.  Though he missed the sub-20, he did chop over 2:00 off his personal best time.

Reed about 6 minutes in. . .

John and a teammate (in yellow) about 7 minutes in. . .

John again.


Reed coming around final turn (1 of 3)

. . .and he begins to pass some people. . .

. . .and he ended up passing all three runners.



Cross country is cool.  There were boys who came in almost last, jumping up and screaming because they had beat their personal best times.  It is such a pure sport—I would venture to guess it is probably the first sport every developed (or the second, after wrestling).  There is something neat about racing the course, the other athletes, and the clock.  My Dad ran cross country in high school.  He never pushed me to run (never pushed me to do anything).  In hindsight, I kind of wish I would have run cross country.  It would be a nostalgic thing to have done—compete in a sport that he loved.  Having my sons compete feels good though.  I am quite the sentimental.  I like to think that he is watching from wherever he is, please with the efforts of his grandkids.

This wasn’t going to be about my dad.

I just think it’s a cool sport, with great positive feelings that make up the atmosphere.  Tons of cheering for every runner.  No booing, no yelling at refs.  I think I’ll go to more events.  

No comments:

Post a Comment