Sunday, October 13, 2013

Kids' play


As I stepped out the door to leave for work the other day, I almost stepped into a large pile of pine needles sitting on the front porch.  Skirting around that pile, I passed another pile of needles and sticks, a cup filled with water and rocks, a toothbrush, and some other things.  Glancing over to the sidewalk, I noticed another pile of sticks. 




No, these weren’t leftovers from any yard work I had done.  Instead, they were the remnants of my children’s playtime the day before.  I don’t know the particulars of the game they were playing, but it had something to do with mining, finding treasures, trading the treasures for money, or something like that.

I smiled to myself and snapped these pictures:

And in the short moments it took me to get to the car and turn on the radio, I had a number of thoughts:
  • How cool, the innocent, creative play of children.  
  • I am so blessed to have children.  And I’m blessed to have children who are great siblings to each other.   Hyrum, Lizzie, and Jacob play so well together; and the pure happiness they derive from their play is inspiring;
  • I remember the times I played in my backyard.  Jill, my younger sister by 18 months, was one of my best friends growing up.  With fond nostalgia, I recall the hours we spent in our back and front yards playing Wonder Twins.  I remember setting up a makeshift drumset in the garage with boxes, barrels, and cans of food.  I thought I was quite the drummer, but I’m glad it was before the time of digital video cameras and youtube.  My son Reed, who is more of a real drummer, would get a good laugh if he could see me then.
  • Thinking more of my play time growing up.  I remember playing handball and Buns-up at the school with my brothers.  In my high school years, it was either Over-the-Line in the summers with my friends at Justin Elementary, or Dunkball on the low rims at Vista Elementary.  I also have great memories of Dunkball at Kevin’s house, Jeff’s house, or Matt’s house.  We didn’t have a basketball rim at our house, but with a school just three houses down, we didn’t really need one. 

My kids like computer games, but they aren’t computer game junkies.  They will always prefer outside play, or physical play to their digital play.  This makes me happy, and I am ashamed to admit that I sometimes hold them back when I don’t want to go outside and kick the ball with them (particularly Anna, who always wants to be in the gym or on the soccer field).  I need to be more active (especially since I currently weigh more than I ever have in my life). 

We work too much.  My kids have too much homework.  We need more play in our lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment