Friday, November 8, 2013

Easy way to keep a journal (you are already doing it!)


Heard about this in March at a conference.  Heard about it again in October at another conference.  Finally went to check it out.  Awesome.

First of all, as a web design snob, I must say that this site has the best user-interface ever.  Super easy and clean.  The idea behind the site is simple, create cause and effect recipes, so one event triggers another.  I decided to use it for purposes of journal keeping.  You see, with emails, FB posts, and blog posts, I am already recording my thoughts, opinions, and experiences.  So, I created four recipes to help me catalog these into journals:

1.  Whenever I publish a blog post, FB automatically updates my status with a link to the post;
2.  Whenever I publish a blog post, the post is automatically added to the end of a specified document in Google Drive (there's my journal #1);
3.  Whenever I update my status in FB, Google Drive automatically adds this status to the end of a (different) specified document (there's my journal #2);
4.  Whenever I star an email in gmail, the text of that email is automatically added to the end of a specified document in Google Drive (there's my journal #3).

I still need to go back and cut and past all my old blog posts because I eventually want to make hard copies, but from this point forward my journal is being auto-populated with content that I am creating anyway.

Love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment