Saturday, November 2, 2013

Obscure, difficult, and useless

In this quest of knowledge, both natural and right, there are two faults to be shunned, — one, the taking of unknown things for known, and giving our assent to them too hastily, which fault he who wishes to escape (and all ought so to wish) will give time and diligence to reflect on the subjects proposed for his consideration. The other fault is that some bestow too great zeal and too much labor on things obscure and difficult, and at the same time useless. - Cicero

Still working my way through some Cicero quotations I gathered from my reading.  Let me judge myself on the two faults Cicero warns against:

Fault One:  Taking unknown things for known. How do I even judge myself on this one?  There are things I hang onto that I claim to be "known", while others assert otherwise. It might help to break up knowledge into categories in order to approach this.  I am tempted to use the category of Observable Facts--things like cats have whiskers, and trees have roots--but it seems silly to include such things, because a cursory study can easily prove one right or wrong.  Perhaps this would have been a good category for Cicero, living in a time where so much (seemingly) still was yet to be discovered.  I am not sure.  Another category can be Events/Occurrences. This is different than Observable Facts because these events happen once only, and cannot be observed over and over (unless you have a video tape).  Things like--let me stop myself here.  Perhaps that category is silly, as well, because it seems that most everything of consequence is recorded these days.  Of course, in a court of law this is always the crux of the matter, but I am trying to apply Cicero's warnings to my personal quest for knowledge, and not a court case.  

I immediately thought there might need to be a separate category for spiritual or religious beliefs.  But cannot these beliefs fall under the Events category?  If Jesus died then resurrected, this is a real event that impacts an entire subset of knowledge that we pursue.  

I am thinking that categorizing knowledge might not prove helpful in this exercise after all.  When I trace my own pursuit of knowledge, my practice usually does not involve a question of WHAT I believe, but WHO I believe.  I choose to listen to and believe certain individuals, and with few exceptions I will accept their expositions/arguments as "known".  (I just heard my Dad from the other side: "Aaron, it's not about Who is right, but What is right!").  Well, Dad, you always said that as we were arguing, not as we were questing for knowledge--I am not necessarily sure that maxim applies in a search for knowledge.  Or does it?  

In order to move forward, it seems that most of us get much of our knowledge by putting our trust in others. I'm not sure that people always consciously make this correlation.  If one reads or listens to a person and accepts what is presented--they are trusting that person.  

Okay, let's get pragmatic here.  Who do I currently trust as it relates to seeking knowledge?  My wife, my parents, my siblings (at times), my in-laws, some other family members (at times), the General Authorities of the LDS Church, Glenn Beck, Brad Wilcox, and some others.  Why do I trust these people?  For each person on the list, there are different and various reasons.  I trust my family members because I know them personally, and I believe their motive and intentions align with mine;  I trust my church leaders because I believe they are men called of God to instruct me; I trust Glenn Beck because I believe he is motivated by love for his fellow men, and he consistently and constantly reminds me that the solution to the ills of this world rests in each individual faithfully embracing that which is good.  

So, how to make sure I do not error in what I accept as known?  Cicero reminds us to give time and diligent reflection.  I can do this more--and I am learning that this includes healthy debate and conversation with others.

Fault Two:  Too much zealous efforts pursuing obscure, difficult, and useless knowledge.  How can I improve in this area.  Obscure items?  I think that some political conversations can fall into this category.  Useless knowledge?  Ha ha!  I just signed up for a fantasy basketball league with some family and friends.  If that isn't useless knowledge, I don't know what is!  But I assert that there must be time set aside for pursuits of entertainments and leisure; and I have a good rule to measure whether my entertainment is too excessive.  If what you are doing (no matter what type of entertainment) prevents you from fulfilling your duties, covenants, promises, or obligations, then you need to stop.  When I talk with youth, I give them a test for themselves.  If you can't immediately stop what you are doing when your Mom calls for your help, then you have a problem.  No hobby or entertainment should take priority over helping those you love.  

Besides certain topics or approaches in politics and fantasy basketball is there anything else obscure, difficult, and useless that I pursue?  Blogging?  It could be, if I break any of my above rules.  

How to wrap this up?  I need to study more.  And limit my time with fantasy basketball!   

2 comments:

  1. You and Sheryl could have an interesting conversation about Glenn Beck.
    From an eternal perspective, perhaps most knowledge we pursue is "useless." However, I think we are designed to be curious and take delight in discovering new things about our world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm. I've never talked to Mom about Glenn Beck. Actually, haven't talked to any family member but Patricia and Jason about Glenn Beck. I'll have to pick her brain! I agree that God must enjoy when we delight in his creations. Think of how much we learn for our children to be excited about their birthday gift, or the enjoy the dinner we make for them.

    ReplyDelete