Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Testing, schmesting. . .



“What was once educationally significant, but difficult to measure, has been replaced by what is insignificant and easy to measure. So now we test how well we have taught what we do not value.”*

–Dr. Arthur L. Costa, emeritus professor,
California State University, Sacramento




It's a sad byproduct resulting from a number of factors: a) the federal government meddling in education in a variety of ways; b) the evil conglomeration of politicians, publishers, and testing companies; and c) the general public's willingness to blindly embrace standardized testing as though it were valid.  Okay, I admit that I do not actually know of an "evil conglomeration", but it merits investigation.  There is so much money being made by these companies, it stands to reason there are shady happenings behind closed doors.  

I am too lazy at the moment to propose a solution in this post.  I haven't begun to elucidate the problem.  

I've never criticized anyone for choosing to homeschool.  And for the record, the lame argument against home-schooling in which people say kids need social interactions or they will be awkward: I completely disagree.  The weird kids that are home-schooled would be just as weird if/had they went to school; and there are plenty of weird kids in "regular" school anyway. 

Moving to a different facet of the topic.  I love the teachers at Oquirrh Hills Elementary.  That's where the rubber hits the road with my kids' education: the teachers.  And we have been super fortunate that our kids have had GREAT people that have served as their teachers.  When all is said and done, it's a big social contract where we trust some of our fellow citizens with the education of our children.  I trust the teachers my kids have had over the years at OHE.  I do not trust all those higher up the chain.  Actually, perhaps I shouldn't frame it as trust.  Rather, I do not agree with the goals of many of those that are shaping public education.  

I loved public school growing up.  Except maybe fourth grade.  My teacher was--well, I won't say. . .

I think the key is not to expect anything (except physical safety for kids) from the public school system.  It's a huge government system, for Pete's sake--and as such is inherently rife with waste, fraud, and inefficacy.  This is not to say that there are not many awesome people working within the system--and those people work miracles; it's just that the crazy bureaucracy pulls the teachers, kids, and administrators in so many different ways, it's completely unrealistic to think a school's (or student's) success can be measured with a test.  

*I found the quotation on the signature line from a co-worker's email.

No comments:

Post a Comment