Thursday, September 5, 2013

Thoughts on, around, and about John Adams - entry 1

Upon common theaters, indeed, the applause of the audience is of more importance to the actors than their own approbation.  But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss!  On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value.
John Adams wrote those words to a Harvard classmate of his, Charles Cushing (McCullough, John Adams, p38).  Such an eloquent way of analogizing the virtue of integrity.  I cannot help but think of those in the public sector that appear as actors, living or dying by the opinion of others, seemingly lacking any sense of conviction toward a set of virtuous principles.  But it is silly to focus on the negative--that doesn't help me or you.

So, instead, I'll write about those who have personified integrity.  The first person that comes to my mind is my father.  If I ever describe his character, that is the first word that comes to my mind: integrity.  John Charles Kammerman was a man of his word, a man who was rigorously honest with others and with himself, and a man who lived up to what he believed.

I can't think of a time when my Dad lied to me, or even when I thought he may have lied to me.  Perhaps that is not a big thing; but I am guessing there are not many sons that can say that about their fathers.  I am so blessed to have been his son, and to have benefitted from his example of honesty.

It's funny, I can't think of an anecdote that illustrates this quality in my father.  I can't relate story of him walking miles to return a dime to a customer who overpaid, or anything like that.  I can only offer my simple testimony:  he spoke and acted with integrity.

My dad did not seek the applause of the world.  Instead, he wanted his God's approval.  He always told us kids, "God sent you here to earth for one thing: to see if you could be trusted."  And then he lived and acted in the way he believed God wanted him to.  He also encouraged us to do the same.  He wasn't preachy.  He invited us, asked us to consider things.  He didn't force or demand.  Truly, he was the perfect example of the counsel that Mormons embrace in the Doctrine and Covenants 121: 41

No power or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of the priesthood, only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned;

I don't know how exactly, but I think there is a connection between integrity and persuasion.  I'll have to write about that at a different time.

I am about a quarter through John Adams, by David McCullough and it is one of the best books I've ever read.  I've been marking it up a ton, and I've decided to use the highlighted sections as starters for my blog entries. I wasn't planning for this one to be about my Dad, it just happened that way.  Love you Dad.

1 comment: