Sunday, September 15, 2013

My third wedding band

I lost my first wedding band just weeks after we were married.  Well, it's not lost, technically.  I do know its general location.  It's at the bottom of Utah Lake.  Perhaps during the millennium we can go search for it.  So, for a long time I wore a ring I found in Patricia's jewelry box that she got from her sister.

Then, on a trip to Coeur d'alene one year, we wandered into a shop that sold Native American jewelry.  Patricia and I bought matching bands inlaid with turquoise and red stones.  That was my wedding band for probably about ten years.  Until.  A couple of weeks ago I tried to take it off.  Ouch.  It was stuck (you see, I have gained fifteen pounds since January).  I finally got it off, but decided that it was time for another wedding band.  Easier than exercise or portion-control.


Utah State Fair to the rescue!  I went to the fair knowing that I would be tempted to buy knives, a salsa maker, and corn on the cob.  And I steeled myself against temptation.  I also mentioned to Patricia that maybe I could find a ring there.  Sure enough, just after we went through Little Kids on the Farm, I found a booth of homemade rings made from old spoons.  I thought that was kind of cool, and stopped to look.  At first glance, it looked like all the rings were too ornate for my taste, or too small.  I almost left the booth.  Instead, I decided to take my time and look through their entire inventory, just in case.  Anna helped me out.  I found one that I liked and at $10, I considered it a bargain.  It helped that the seller was from Taylorsville; I like patronizing small local businesses when I can.


Having been made from a spoon, the ring is not an "eternal round" and I quickly assured Patricia that this new ring in no way symbolized that our love had an end.  Getting this new ring caused me to think of our marriage and I now reflect on the many blessings I enjoy for having married Patricia:

  • My kids have the best Mother ever;
  • Patricia believes in God, and she supports me in my belief in God;
  • Patricia does not compromise her principals--she is a person of integrity;
  • Patricia is very intelligent--and I've always found that an attractive quality in her;
  • Patricia does not place a high value on material things (lucky for me on a number of levels);
  • Patricia thinks of others--she is compassionate;
I am grateful that Patricia said "yes", and that she is patient with me.  One day, I hope to deserve her.

No comments:

Post a Comment