Monday, September 9, 2013

Cicero on Moral Duties

Indeed, no part of life, whether in public or in private affairs, abroad or at home, in your personal conduct or your social relations, can be free from the claims of duty; and it is in the observance of duty that lies all the honor of life, in its neglect, all the shame.                   - Cicero 

Inspired by John Adams, I decided to read Cicero.  I enjoy reading the clear, logical reasoning from somebody who lived so long ago; and it's neat to see that his writing is just as relevant today as it was for the people of his day.

The quote above is how Cicero begins his Ethical Writings: On Moral Duties.  To embrace a duty shows that you have a sense of belonging to a group of some sort.  It implies that you are not alone, and that your actions matter to others.  To reject one's duty, or to deny there is a duty at all, denotes an extreme sense of selfishness (at best) and/or willful antisocial tendencies (at worst).  Maybe it is not that simple all the time, though.  What of those that have no sense of duty because of the way they were raised, because of their environment.  That adds the category of "ignorance" to our reasons why people shun their duty.

I think that few people would argue with Cicero in his above statement; but arguments abound once we begin to delineate which duties pertain to each role in society.  A large part of political argument stems from these disagreements, and I am sure that as I read more Cicero and his contemporaries, I will run across those that disagree with his idea of duties, government, etc.

Something with which I have struggled in my adulthood is defining my duty as a citizen.  I enjoy history, current events, and political theory; and I often feel anxious to share my opinions and debate with others.  What dissuades me from engaging in political debate is that I'm a jerk when I think about politics.   It takes an inordinate amount of self-control for me to censure my thoughts/beliefs about those with whom I disagree.  I have learned this about myself, and this is one reason I stay away from political conversation.  I have yet to master the talent (that comes so easily to many that I admire) of maintaining an unconditional positive regard for others even as I disagree with them.  I am not satisfied with myself in this regard.  At the same time, I try hard not to embrace my automatic thoughts, but coach myself out of irrational, ultra-emotional, reactionary thought processes that can only prove destructive.  I think if I practice more, I may find that my irrationality may dissipate naturally.  You see, I am aware that many of my reactions may simply be reactions to what I think others are thinking/believing--and I could be completely wrong.  Furthermore, conversation may broaden my view of the topic at hand, and this could help soften my rigidity when it comes to vehemently opposing others.  I'll simply have to try more and find out.

But I only want to engage in debate with those I know, with those I care about.  Throwing up political memes on FB seems pointless to me.  To what end?  I'd rather talk with family and friends and learn to enjoy the conversing and associating with good people, instead of focusing on persuading others or being right.  Heh, I like that idea.  

Back to duty.  And Cicero's opening statement.  I do find comfort in knowing my duty and striving to perform it.  At work.  At home.  At Church.  It brings an order and purpose to my life.  I have no trouble viewing my mortality as a large web of duties.

No comments:

Post a Comment