Monday, September 23, 2013

Cicero and Adams on political discourse


But as it is a most fitting rule for the entire life, that we shun passion, by which I mean emotions that transcend the control of reason, so conversation ought to be free from emotions of this kind, that thus no anger or inordinate desire may show itself, and that at the same time there be no appearance of listlessness, or indifference, or anything of the kind. We must also take special care to preserve the bearing of respect and esteem for those with whom we converse.
                                                                                          - Cicero


Thank you Cicero!  I have long wondered (and written about) how I can engage in political discussions without getting all worked up, angry, and resentful.  I need to avoid "emotions that transcend the control of reason".  Of greater importance is that last caution above, to "take special care to preserve the bearing of respect and esteem for those with whom we converse."  I am confident that if I remember this, I can have meaningful, productive discussion with others.  It's simple, I know; and I already knew it.  But I like the way Cicero puts things, and this helped me approach the problem from another perspective.

Another important factor in effective discussion is brought to us by John Adams, when he wrote, as paraphrased by McCullough (page 99)*:

The art of persuasion. . . depend[s] mainly on a marshaling of facts, clarity, conviction, and the ability to think on one's feet.  True eloquence consist[s] of truth and "rapid reason".

Many times I am tempted to argue a point when I only have a general idea or notion of the facts at hand.  It is much better for me, and the person I talk with, that I have a "marshaling of facts" so that I can be "clear".  Something else poignant about this last quotation: unless you are speaking truth, can you speak with eloquence?  I don't think so.

In typing this, it all seems a little elementary.  Oh well.  I'm learning something!




*I am still making my way through John Adams, by David McCullough.  Just passed the halfway point; about 300 more pages to go!

1 comment: