Sunday, August 4, 2013

Saved by Grace

I truly appreciate Brad Wilcox's perspective on the Atonement, as delivered in a number of his talks and in his book, The Continuous Atonement.  The insights he shares resonate with my heart and mind, and I am excited as I embrace an improved view on the power of God's grace.
By complying [with God's commandments], we are not paying the demands of justice--not even the smallest part.  Instead, we are showing appreciation for what Jesus Christ did by using it to live a life like His. 
He points out that we are not "earning our way to heaven, but learning our way to heaven."

My two cents here.  The gospel is not a a laundry list of things to do, but rather a description of the type of person we are to become if we are to live with God.  It is about becoming, not doing.  I admit that I struggle with this.  I frequently obey commandments because I believe it to be the right thing to do, and not because I sincerely want to be a different type of person.  I struggle with desires of the natural man, and I am painfully aware that there are parts of me that must die, so that I can become cleansed.  This reminds me of one of my favorite songs, The Hurt and the Healer, by MercyMe:
So here I am what's left of me
Where Glory meets my suffering
I'm alive, even thought a part of me has died
You take my heart and breathe it back to life
I've fallen in your arms open wide
Where the hurt and the healer collide.

I am reminded of one of my favorite passages in the scriptures, found in Doctrine and Covenants 45: 3-5

Listen to him who is the aadvocate with the Father, who is pleading your cause before him—
 Saying: Father, behold the asufferings and bdeath of him who did no csin, in whom thou wast well pleased; behold the blood of thy Son which was shed, the blood of him whom thou gavest that thyself might be dglorified;
 Wherefore, Father, spare these my abrethren that bbelieve on my name, that they may come unto me and have ceverlasting life.
We will be saved based "wholly upon the merits"(2 Nephi 31:19) of Jesus Christ.   Our actions are not saving us; they are simply preparing us to live in a holy place, and helping us to transform ourselves into a more holy person. 

I hope to write more about this topic later.  



3 comments:

  1. La clave es tener clara la diferencia entre la salvación y la santificación. La primera es solo por gracia (SOLA GRATIA) y de carácter monergico; la segunda implica nuestro continuo esfuerzo en el Espíritu Santo. Te recomiendo estudiar la carta a los Gálatas y a los Romanos. Pablo, Agustín, Martín Lutero, Juan Calvino, Jonathan Edwards construyeron sobre este cimiento... Dios te bendiga en su Palabra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Earning our way to something is such a secular concept that we are surrounded by and that is ingrained into us. I think that is one of the reasons why it's a struggle to "accept" the simple truth of the matter that we can DO nothing to earn our heavenly status...that it is only through Christ and His grace that we are saved. Internalizing this heavenly concept is such a struggle as I fight the mentality of the other. Thank you for writing about this. The reflection of these things brings much peace to my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carlos, Gracia for su sabiduria. Tendre que estudiar mas sobre la santificacion.

    Jill, it makes me happy that the post was helpful. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete