Thursday, January 30, 2014

Perspective

I've posted more about politics on FB in the past two months than I have in the past 4 years.  I am getting more comfortable debating.  Frankly, the reason is because I am getting better at loving others.  It may seem weird, but I don't feel like making the connection in this post.  That's not the focus I'm after.

So today, I am perusing FB and participating in one or two political discussions.  I am feeling good about participating in thoughtful debate and enriching some of my friendships.  I am also thinking that the things I am debating are very important, of course.  I mean, what can be more important than the recent speech of the POTUS and ensuing reactions?

Then I click on a video my sister posted.  I love my older sister and when she writes: "Stop what you are dong and watch this, I trust that it'll be worth my time."  I loved the song in the video, and I was moved by the message portrayed by the actors.  There are many ways to Come Unto Christ: Forgiveness, Repentance, Kindness, among others.

Then I made a mistake.  I went to the Pearson Syndrome Family FB group to read the latest news.  This is a group made up of about 35 families around the world (and their friends) who have children suffering with Pearson's Syndrome, the illness that took my daughter, Emily.  The latest post in the group was from a parent asking for advice on a feeding issue: her little son is suffering and she is struggling to know what to do.

I lost it.  Already softened up by the video, my heart overflowed:  Sadness.  Yearning.  Compassion.

And perspective.  




No comments:

Post a Comment