Tuesday, January 14, 2014

A living testimony of Christ

Today, my Mom and I attended a funeral service.  We were neighbors and friends with this man's family from our time living in Simi Valley.  While I didn't really know the man personally; I knew some of his siblings to different degrees; and this man's father served as my Scoutmaster for some time--something I remember with fondness and gratitude. 

I expected a nice service; and I felt happy and blessed to have a work situation such that I could take a day off for a funeral service.  Since the passing of my own daughter, funerals no longer hold for me the uncomfortable uneasiness that I used to feel.  I used to feel as though I were an intruder at funerals; and the concept of death made me nervous around the family of the deceased.  Having been on the receiving end of people's kindness during Emily's funeral (and my Dad's), I look at things differently now.  I value the opportunity a funeral service provides to express my gratitude and friendship not only for the deceased, but for his or her family as well.  

My Mother and I arrived quite early, because I wanted to make sure we had a couple of minutes to greet the family during the viewing time.  Consequently, after greeting the family with hugs, and expressing our condolences, we sat in the chapel with almost a 75 minute wait.  "Darn," I thought to myself.  "I should have brought my scriptures!"  You see, I am trying to read the Book of Mormon during the month of January.  I am behind pace (and behind all three of my oldest children) and this would have given me the perfect opportunity to catch up.  I glanced up at the pulpit, in case there was a stray triple combination laying around.  No such luck.  So, I read what I had in my hand: the writings of the man whose life we were celebrating.  What followed was one of the most uplifting and inspiring experiences of my life.  

Through his words, this man (who I never really talked to in life) taught me about gratitude, about loving others, about valuing that which truly matters.  Most importantly, this man taught me about Christ, His atonement, His teachings, and His love for each one of us.  His testimony stirred my soul:
All that is good in my life, all that I truly cherish and hold dear is upheld, empowered, preserved, protected, sustained, defended and given life by Jesus Christ and the infinite power of His Atonement and His light.  Indeed, "all things which are good cometh of Christ" [Moroni 7:24 in the Book of Mormon].  
The services that followed were no less inspiring than the words I had just read.  In sharing about their sibling's and friend's life, the speakers taught simple and powerful gospel principles, adding their testimony to that of their dear friend/sibling.  The music was simply beautiful.  I heard the song, Homeward Bound,  for the first time.  I want to find it on Youtube and add it to my Gospel Songs playlist, though I'm afraid that any version I search for will not be as beautiful as what I heard today.  I also heard the last two verses of the Hymn, More Holiness Give Me, for the first time.  Beautiful.  Powerful.  As the service ended, I felt a very real, physical sensation that my heart was full to overflowing with the love of God.  I've no doubt that all present felt the Holy Spirit, and recognized the sacredness of the occasion.  

I am grateful for the experience I had today.  I thank the family for their exemplary lives.  I thank this man for his life and testimony (which for him, was one in the same).

I know God lives.  I know He loves us.  I know He sent His son, Jesus Christ to redeem us.  I feel the happiest when I am striving to live His commandments.  These things I know through the power of the Holy Ghost.  I invite any who happen to be reading this to believe in God, believe in Christ, and follow His teachings.





No comments:

Post a Comment