Sunday, October 12, 2014

"Zero Population is the answer my friend"

Remember that weird song from Saturday's Warrior?  I didn't really comprehend the meaning behind that song when I first saw (live on stage) and fell in love with that musical*.  Now, about 31 years later, I can see the opposition to families in the world, and I see the place that song had in the musical. 

I gave a talk a couple of months ago on the family.  In my sitting-in-the-stands-realizing-I-need-to-cut-over-half-my-talk editing time, this was one experience I cut out and didn't share over the pulpit:
I’ve had experiences where people have belittled me for having a big family.  During my work for my graduate degree, I was once sitting in a classroom conversing with two other members of my cohort as we worked together on a project.  In the small talk that began our conversation, I mentioned that my wife and I had five children.  One of my classmates looked at me, with disdain in his voice, and accused me: “Dude, take it easy, man!  We are already overcrowded on this earth!”  
In that moment, I didn’t say anything. I probably just nervously chuckled.  But I’ve often thought of what I could have said. Sometimes the responses I think of are not very nice.  If I saw him again one day, and if I yielded to the Spirit, seeking a proper response to his accusation, I might say something like this: 
Hello Friend!  Guess what, my wife and I have seven children now!  And let me tell you why we have seven children.  First of all, I feel greatly blessed to have children.  While I know that my children are a blessing from my Heavenly Father, I understand that I did not do anything to earn or deserve this blessing of parenthood any more than anyone else.  I understand that some people have a greater or lesser number of children; and sadly, some who wish to have children do not have any. My life circumstance is such that my wife and I have seven children and I am grateful for this. I love my children very much, and I embrace the duty and honor that my wife and I share to raise them to be good citizens, and faithful sons and daughters of God.  You see, this world is a horrible place; and the best thing I can do to improve mankind has nothing to do with voting at a ballot box, or recycling, or feeding the homeless.  The best way I can serve mankind is by being a worthy husband and father, providing for my family, and teaching my children correct principles.  I am grateful that I had a father who understood this.  
Yes, I have a big family. I'm happy and grateful for this.

It's not a perfect response, I know.  That's okay.

I wish I did not so often forget my primary responsibility of raising my family.   All too often, I burden myself with pride, or with selfishness, or envy, and I get distracted from what really matters: my wife and children.

*I understand that this musical is more about Mormon culture than Latter-Day Saint doctrine.  This post isn't about defending the musical.


1 comment:

  1. Well-said. Too many people who produce children do not raise them. Your kids are very blessed! Psalms 127:3-5.

    ReplyDelete