Thursday, May 1, 2014

Nephi's face palm

If you've not read Ender's Game*, you'll not get this reference, but in my latest reading of 1st Nephi, it occurred to me that the angel is to Nephi as Graff is to Ender.  Hear me out:

Remember on the flight to battle school, when Ender was the only one who laughed at the concept of zero gravity, and then Graff put a target on his back (so to speak) by telling all the launchies that they weren't nearly as smart as Ender?
Well, I can imagine the scene with Laman and Lemuel hitting Nephi with a rod.
And the angel appears.
Nephi is probably pretty grateful until he sees where the angel is going with his lecture:
Then, from behind his brothers' back, I can imagine Nephi's futile attempt to shush the angel.
And. . .wait for it. . .the face palm as the angel finished his sentence, telling Laman and Lemuel that Nephi is more righteous than they are and that he will rule them one day.

Thanks angel.

*I guess you wouldn't get it without having read The Book of Mormon either.  I recommend both books.


No comments:

Post a Comment